I choose to review Daddy Dates by Greg Wright for booksneeze.com in return for an honest review.
As a new mother (I gave birth to my gorgeous son almost three months ago), I am not sure why I was so interested in reading this book. Part of me said "hey, why not? even though you're not a dad, you're still a parent now". But deep down I knew I wanted to read this because of my own relationship with my father, which is nonexistant and has been for a long time. Its something I dont understand because my "father" (who never even paid child support for me) still sees my brother (who is four years younger then me) twice a month!
This book is lovely. It is smart, cheerful, and all around a great read. I did however get a little teary at times, reading how committed Greg is to his four daughters, because my own 'father' wont even give me the time of day. Even when he was still with my mum (who I have a great relationship with) for my birthday (december 20), he gave me nothing. And five days later, on Christmas, one year all he bought me was a little bag of Skittles candy that would have cost him 69cents at the dollar store.
I wish more dad's are like Greg. About half the girls I know don't talk to their own father, which is really scary and shocking, but at least my family situation didnt make me an outcast. My mother told me when she was younger, it was the norm for familys to be together and happy, and if your parents were seperated, you were kind of an outsider just for that reason alone.
Throughout reading this book, I wondered what my 'father' would do if I sent him a copy of this book. Then I came to the conclusion that he would read what it is about, and then throw it away. I can imagine though, if he did read this book, he would take it to heart, and probably pick up the phone to see how I am doing after all these years.
This is why I respect Greg so much. It seems to be so easy for men to give up and abandon their children, but Greg Wright realizes the effect of what that has on young children. This is why Greg's mission is "Don't screw up!"
I really like how much this book appealed to me, a female. I was not expecting that at all. I would most definately recommend this book to ANY father, father-to-be, grandfather, or even a man who is in a relationship with a woman who has a daughter. Great read.
No comments:
Post a Comment